Like the “Brangelina” Marriage, Ninth Ward Wonder House Comes Apart

Ultra-modern “Make It Right” home may be torn down as code violations mount.

It was a noble idea, to “Make It Right” for residents of New Orleans 9th Ward, and Brad Pitt’s heart was in it. But sometimes life spins out of control, and this modernistic house ran into the slings and arrows of human frailty.

Best Intentions. Brad Pitt became a key spokesman for rebuilding New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. The house in question fell victim to neglect.

As Karen Gadbois reports in The New Orleans Advocate, this eco-friendly modern home, just 7 years old, has been cited numerous times for code violations. The roof leaked, mold grew, and the rest is entropy.

Here’s an excerpt:

With repairs stalled for two years on one of its iconic, modernist homes in the Lower 9th Ward, the Make It Right Foundation wants to demolish the building just seven years after it was completed.

The vacant house at 5012 N. Derbigny St., which was the subject of a code enforcement hearing Tuesday, stands in sharp contrast to its well-manicured neighbors. Its windows and doors are missing, and shredded tarps hang off the roof.

Make It Right’s ambitious program was launched by actor Brad Pitt in 2007 with the aim of building 150 affordable, safe, “green” homes so residents could return to their flooded neighborhood.

The Lower 9th Ward was devastated by the water that rushed in when a section of floodwall along the Industrial Canal collapsed as Hurricane Katrina approached Louisiana in 2005.

In a 2009 story, The New York Times called the development “Brad Pitt’s Gifts to New Orleans.”

But this house tells a different story.

The 1,350-square-foot house was designed by the Philadelphia firm KieranTimberlake. It was based on a model that employed innovative, energy-saving and environmentally friendly features, such as pipes to collect rainwater and a wood trellis to allow vines to create a natural canopy.

Reginald Moliere of Little Rock, Arkansas, purchased the house in May 2011, soon after it was finished. A family member named Alexander said at the code-enforcement hearing that he and his wife were living there in 2015 when his wife started having health problems related to mold. They learned the roof was leaking.

Read the Full Article HERE.